Thursday, June 26, 2014

Door Decor

I have been having fun painting wooden things lately.  The wooden things that you find at the craft stores are so easy to paint and you can really have fun with them and personalize however you want.  I have also recently been buying a lot of acrylic paints because they were so cheap and I needed a few for a Father's Day project.  The colors are just so pretty.  I couldn't help myself.

My newest project was, of course, found on Pinterest.  I don't really have a need for this item, but thought it was cute and needed something easy to work on. 

Wooden Door Hanger
I started with a plain wooden "R" from Michael's.  I picked this letter because it is the first in my last name.  You could use any letter of your choosing.  Anyway, I picked a color and painted the entire letter Caribbean Blue.  It looks a bit streaky in this picture because the paint wasn't dry yet, but after it dried it looked great.
 
After the blue paint dried over night, I stenciled on my house numbers down the side of the "R".  I really wanted to use 3 inch wooden numbers, but strangely can not find them anywhere.  They have all kinds of letters in that size, but no numbers that I have found yet.  I had to settle for a stencil pack.  I thought that black paint would stand out the best, but when I was done it looked really plain.  I started messing around and put yellow dots all over the black numbers.  It kind of made it "pop" more.
 I'm still not crazy about how this turned out, but it gave me something to work on.  The final picture with the sealant on it is below.
This letter has a hanger on the back, so it can be hung on your door, beside the door, or any place else you would like to put it.  I bet you could even do it with initials on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment